I think the elliptical has gotten a reputation for being the machine you hop on when you just want to phone in your workout. Yes, it is a low impact workout, but just because this cardio machine is kind on your joints doesn't mean you can't push yourself on it either. We know it's all too easy, to step on the machine, queue up your show, and just go through the motions. To help you make the most of your sweat session (and to make sure you break a sweat), we've rounded up a dozen elliptical workouts for you to follow and push yourself. Make the most of you gym time and take one of these to the gym with you and see all that you can do on the elliptical — you might even feel sore in your glutes the next day.
30-Minutes and Under
- Lunchtime workout: This 30-minute lunchtime workout makes for a quick midday cardio session and ensures that you have enough time to freshen up in the locker room before heading back to your desk.
- Cardio quickie: Need something even shorter? This 20-minute interval workout helps you fit in a workout on even the busiest of days.
- Interval training: When you don't have a lot of time, try this short interval elliptical workout. It's only 22 minutes long (including warmup and cooldown) and features really short and effective intervals.
- HIIT It: If you're looking to step it up a notch and play with speed, here are three HIIT workouts — beginner, intermediate, and advanced — for you to try.
- Shorter, faster intervals: This 30-minute elliptical workouts uses shrinking recovery time between intervals, which pushes your anaerobic threshold to strengthen your cardiovascular system.
- Total body: Work your entire body with this 30-minute elliptical workout — it'll get your heart rate up, too.
Over 30 Minutes
- Just like the treadmill: For times when you can't find an empty treadmill at the gym, try this elliptical "treadmill" workout. The workout comes close to mimicking what running on a treadmill feels like and may even help even out your stride. It's only 35 minutes.
- Booty Gains With a Side of Cardio: Target glutes and hamstrings by playing with the incline on the elliptical. This elliptical booty workout will help you tone your backside while also getting a good cardio workout.
- Go long, finish strong: This beginner-friendly hour-long elliptical workout varies speed and incline for an effective workout.